Alumni & Friends

HISTORY OF CAMPBELL UNIVERSITY

 

On January 5, 1887, Campbell University’s journey began.  On that cold, blustery winter day, the University’s founder, Dr. James Archibald Campbell, could not have fully comprehended the significance of the enterprise he was launching.  However, Dr. Campbell was fully persuaded that his vision and the establishment of Buies Creek Academy were “of God.”  The passage of time has affirmed Dr. Campbell’s conviction.

The Civil War’s destruction across North Carolina was severe.  Once considered one of the most progressive states in education, in the aftermath of the war North Carolina’s 3,000 schools lay prostrate like its businesses and farmland.  In this educational vacuum, Buies Creek Academy opened its doors with an enrollment of sixteen students.  The educational needs of the region were so great and the school’s reputation so positive that by the end of the first term enrollment grew to 92 students.

During the early years of Campbell University’s history, the educational demands were so great and the student population was growing so quickly, it was only natural for the Academy to seek junior college status.  In 1926, Buies Creek Academy became Campbell Junior College.  Responding to the needs and demands of a growing student population, Campbell Junior College became Campbell College in 1961.  In 1979, Campbell College became Campbell University and has since developed into a major regional educational institution.

Established as a liberal arts college, the academic program of Campbell University was greatly expanded in 1976 when the Board of Trustees authorized the establishment of graduate programs in education and business and the awarding of the Master of Education and Master of Business Administration degrees.  At that juncture the Board of Trustees also approved the Juris Doctor degree and the establishment of the School of Law, the charter class of which was to graduate in 1979.  The Doctor of Pharmacy degree was approved in 1985 with the establishment of the School of Pharmacy.  The University’s sixth school, the Divinity School, was established in 1995.  In the fall of 2013 the School of Osteopathic Medicine enrolled its first class.

Since 1887, the university has been led by four presidents:  James A. Campbell, Leslie H. Campbell, Norman Adrian Wiggins, and the current president, Jerry M. Wallace.  On July 1, 2015, J. Bradley Creed will take the helm as Campbell’s fifth president.


COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES

Campbell’s University’s oldest school, the College of Arts and Sciences, continues to provide undergraduate students with one of the most outstanding liberal arts educational programs in the nation.   Read More…

THE NORMAN A WIGGINS SCHOOL OF LAW

In the early 1970’s, Norman A. Wiggins, then president of Campbell College, began exploring the possibility of establishing a law school.  Read More…

LUNDY-FETTERMAN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

From Campbell University’s earliest days, business curricula have been an integral part of the courses of study offered to students.  Read More…

SCHOOL OF EDUCATION

Established in 1976, the School of Education is home to a Teacher Education program that ranks number one among the private schools of North Carolina and number one in the number of alumni employed in North Carolina Public Schools. Read More…

DIVINITY SCHOOL

On September 21, 1995, the Board of Trustees unanimously voted to begin Campbell University’s sixth school, the Divinity School. Read More…

COLLEGE OF PHARMACY AND HEALTH SCIENCES

Established in 1986, the Campbell University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences opened the first new pharmacy school in the preceding 35 years.  Read More…

JERRY M. WALLACE SCHOOL OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE

Campbell University's Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine opened its doors to students in August of 2013.  Read More…